Thursday, April 24, 2008

Every days a challenge

Some days this really gets to me. It feels like I’m trying to drain the ocean with a teaspoon. Every time we turn around there’s a new dealer to deal with. We busted a guy last night, small time dealer, but if we could get him to turn we could work our way up the food chain.

Sometimes we have to make deals with the devil. I hate it, I really do, but if we can get a small bit player turn informer on their supplier, then that supplier turn on their guy, up until we hit a lieutenant, that would be well worth it. If the lieutenant were to flip, we could take down the king pin. And anything it takes to get Rivera down, I can live with.

It just sticks in my craw to offer these deals. I hate the idea of a pusher getting reduced or even commuted sentences because they turned over the next guy. It helps I guess. I mean we get the low down on the pusher and we can keep a leash on these guys, but knowing that some asshole that poisons kids is out without doing time just aggravates me.

A guy we picked up last night was a small time fish. Strictly street level and he flipped on his supplier. We’ve got a deal arranged. Little fish is going to contact his supplier for some coke and we’ll nail the supplier the minute the transaction occurs.

It’s really hard to know if we can trust these guys. There’s no telling when the next flip is going to screw us. It gets kind of hairy out there. We don’t really get a chance to know these guys before we let them help with a set up.

To be honest with you, I don’t trust any of our CIs. They’re criminals. If they get a better deal from someone who plays on their side of the fence, one of my guys may not make it back. I guess I should look at it this way—one off the streets is one less pusher that’s going to sit on the sidewalk and pass out their drugs.

The deal goes down in an hour. Each time we do this the adrenalin starts pumping, your hands shake, your knees bounce. You’re pumped and ready to spring into action. There are times when we’ve gotten in there, ready to roll and been held back because the supplier isn’t there.
Hopefully this isn’t one of those times. Gotta suit up.

No comments: